Steers Photography

This be my blog. And notepad on my study, and place to post whatever I feel like about my photography.

zondag 17 oktober 2010

My Street - a photographic review

The biggest assignment for the module was "a reportage about your street".
It so happens that I live in a small street, which is barely more than a glorified parking place, as it only has one entrance, 15 houses, and not much more use than justifying a separate address for houses that are well placed back from the busy road in front of it.

Enter the writers block, where I absolutely had no clue where to start, and was even further hindered by my visceral dislike of my surroundings.

The major ideas with which I toyed:

- a collage of all the houses and gardens, showing a pretty quiet neighbourhood, with almost exactly identical houses, and rather unimaginitive gardens.
I dropped the idea because it was too straightforward, and I'd need to add something to avoid people just thinking "so? and what is the point of this?"

- cheating slightly on the "my", take the street two blocks further, which has a primary school, and take a photo each hour on exactly the same place, to show the progress of the day and the light.
Activity in the street: fuck-all. Progress of the light: misty.
The first part made me drop the thing, the second was just adding insult to injury.

- Corner views. The houses are built in a row, joined to eachother, and it'd possibly make an interesting perspective to see the whole row stretch into the horizon, with minor differences for each row.
Dropped it as it'd be about the whole neighbourhood, and while possibly interesting for an autist with asperger's it'd be kinda boring for a rather more normal viewing public.

- Follow the light. A bit of a "journey" at night, where you follow a strong light through the street, ending up at some mysterious place between the bushes.
Probably fascinating in actual dark. You know. What happens when there isn't a strong light source placed every 20 meters, fixed on a 10m pole.
No idea what kind of light would be interesting enough to follow in those conditions.

- An Ant's Life. A game of "change the perspective", and make a series of how an ant would see the street, from his point of view.
Dropped the actual ants view as I can't physically get my camera that low, but I retained the idea, and incorporated my cats, as they also have a massively different perspective on the street, due to their (lack of) height, and their tendency to climb in things.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten