Steers Photography

This be my blog. And notepad on my study, and place to post whatever I feel like about my photography.

zaterdag 15 januari 2011

Light on Location: Building in Twilight

A rather straightforward and simple assignment: a building in twilight. No background stories, research, or themes.

The choice of building was influenced mostly not by how the actual building looked like, but where it stood, and whether it'd have enough free space around it to catch the light well in twilight.
The final choice was an apartment complex close to where I live, mainly for abovementioned reasons.

After that came the process of details: where to stand, what angle, what proportion of air / building in the photo, etc. etc.
I did a dry run during daylight, walking around the building to see what angle it looked best from.
Come twilight it proved that something as simple as the lights of the building can easily throw off all your plans: the most interesting thing became mysterious effect created by the yellow lighting of the walkways shining through the facade.

In the end it proved to be an accident that the photo turned out well: I was shooting next to very high, grass-like plants, and their silhouette waves at the bottom of the photo. This breaks an otherwise extremely dull composition, and adds a bit of subtlety.

And once again I am reminded that a low-key photo needs to look brighter than it should be on a monitor, in order to turn out well as print.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten